[bitcoin-dev] RFC: Deterministic Entropy From BIP32 Keychains

Ethan Kosakovsky ethankosakovsky at protonmail.com
Sat Mar 21 15:10:48 UTC 2020

Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I agree there are wide considerations surrounding key handling and storage. I dont think my proposal interferes with that perspective any more than BIP32 itself would. How keys are handled is a separate matter than the cryptography of key derivation and trying to get back to the one single backup that is future proof.

My proposal is not concerned with how the initial master key/seed is generated, just that we have one. My proposal is concerned with how to avoid having to generate more master keys because of the wide adoption of standards that impose restrictions (like BIP39); or the fragmented methods of initialization various wallets; as well as the instances where sharing the BIP39 seed with multiple wallets is undesirable due to security concerns (for example hot and offline wallet); or just plain incompatible standards.

If we were to start everything from scratch, we would obviously do things differently. However, there are already millions of wallets created using existing standards. It's just not possible to reset sadly.

> What I think Ethan is proposing is the ability to turn any child derived
> xprv key into a new set valid seed words that could be used by a wallet or
> other devices that don't understand xprv and will only allow import of new
> seeds words. This gets even more complicated if the seed words are not the
> standard BIP-39 set (which BTW, are not an ideal set of words, the
> selection of the SLIP-39 words is much better).

I am proposing two separate things.

  - that we use fully hardened paths to derive keys in order to derive entropy.
  - that a BIP44 like derivation path can be used to describe what the entropy is intended for

    For example we use the prefix 83696968 (ASCII seed in decimal) `m/83696968'/type'/index'`
      - `type` defines how the entropy will be used
        `0` means use 128 bits of the entropy as input to BIP39, producing a 12 word BIP39 mnemonic
        `4` means use 256 bits of the entropy as the secret exponent to create a compressed WIF (for use as hdseed in Bitcoin Core)

    In this way, we can neatly define the specific use-cases of the entropy maintaining some order.

      - `index` is the key index so we can generate multiple instances of this type of entropy

To answer your question about whether to one-way-transform the resulting k. In practice, k is already safe because it was derived from a fully hardened path which protects the parent tree. However, the purpose here semantically is to be entropy. But k is not entropy, it's a private key on that derivation path. Neither are we exporting and xprv. We want entropy to seed the derivation of something else specified by the `type`. For that reason I consider it important to transform k by way of a hash or hmac. Using HMAC over hash is a decision based on an abundance of caution to ensure ward off unwanted side effects should k be used for a dual purpose, including as a nonce hash(k), where undesirable and unforeseen interactions could occur.

> Though possibly pragmatic, this approach would be a hack – starting with some raw entropy, convert this to an entropy seed, then to words, then hmac to xprv, then derive child keys, then convert that child key to a new entropy seed, then hmac to xprv, and then derive child keys again, etc.

I am not proposing the nesting, although nothing would prohibit it, I'm just proposing one master root key from which all child keychains can be derived and overcome the incompatibilities and impracticalities detailed.

> Let me know if you'd like to participate in the discussions (currently either Github issues or a Signal group for the group)

Sure! What's the URL of the Github?

Ethan