[bitcoin-dev] Statechain implementations

Tom Trevethan tom at commerceblock.com
Tue Mar 31 11:41:46 UTC 2020

Hi David,

Just for clarity, I left nChain over 2 years ago (having worked there since
2016). While there, I (along with other researchers) were given free rein
to work on any ideas we wanted to. I had been interested in the scaling of
Bitcoin off-chain, and this was one of several things I spent time on
(including things like sidechains, pegs and threshold signatures). This
patent application came out of an idea I had to transfer ownership of UTXOs
off-chain that has some similarities to the statechains proposal, which has
shown there is interest and demand for this type of system.

Although I think the existence of this application is something to be
mindful of, there are several important things to note:

1. Although there are similarities, the current ideas are significantly
different to those in the application.
2. The key transfer protocol as described in the application is not secure
(for several reasons, including as discussed above, by Albert and Bob etc.)
- and a different mechanism is required.
3. Decrementing timelocks (as suggested in the application) are prior art
(Decker-Wattenhofer 2015), and in any case any implementation will most
likely use an 'invalidation tree' relative locktime backup mechanism for
open-ended UTXOs.
4. The patent application has not been granted (it was made in May 2017)
and the international search report rejected it on the grounds of prior
art.

Tom