[bitcoin-dev] Revault: a multi-party vault architecture

darosior darosior at protonmail.com
Fri May 8 10:34:49 UTC 2020

The fee bumping construction I described in the previous post is potentially vulnerable
to transaction pinning.

We shared a SINGLE | ANYONECANPAY signature for the first (and only) input of revaulting
transactions to allow any party to append an input and an output in order to bump the
transaction fees.
An user would either append an input signed with ALL, or replace their SINGLE | ANYONECANPAY
signature with one using ALL before broadcasting the transaction.

This allowed one party to decrease the transaction fees down to the minimum relay fees,
and possibly pin the transaction by spending their added single-pubkey output.

We now exchange ALL | ANYONECANPAY signatures for revaulting transactions to restrict the creation
of a new output only spendable by one party.
The fee bumping is now done in two stages (to avoid consuming an entire utxo) :

       Unvaulting transaction
  --------------------------------
 | vault prevout | unvault output |------------------
  --------------------------------                    \
                                                       \             Revaulting transaction
                                                        \  ---------------------------------------
                                                          | unvault prevout    | new vault output |
                                                           ---------------------------------------
                                                          | fee bump prevout   |
                                                         / --------------------
       Single-party wallet transaction                  /
  -----------------------------------------            /
 | wallet prevout | fee bump output        |----------
                  | wallet change output   |
                   ------------------------

This construction isn't perfect as a malicious party could still pin its fee bumping transaction
and prevent the other stakeholders from **immediatly** replacing this input, because of the second
rule of BIP125 :
> The replacement transaction may only include an unconfirmed input if that input was included
> in one of the original transactions.

However, I think it's preferable as :
- Depending on the unvault CSV, the honest party might pay a high fee to have the fee-bumping
  transaction confirm in one of the next two blocks, and then use this now confirmed output as an
  additional input of the revaulting transaction.
- If the amount is consequent, the honest party may sacrifice an entire confirmed utxo from its
  wallet (effectively skipping the fee bumping transaction).
- It's realistic to expect, for such an application, users' wallets to have a pool of confirmed
  utxo that might be sacrificed if the amount is consequent AND the CSV is so small (which is
  anyway a bad idea in the first place) that you are not sure to have the fee bumping transaction
  to be confirmed before its maturity, ).

Thanks,
Antoine / Darosior