[bitcoin-dev] [Lightning-dev] On the scalability issues of onboarding millions of LN mobile clients

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Sat May 9 07:22:52 UTC 2020

Hi Igor,

Thanks for sharing about what it's technically possible to do for a
full-node on phone, specially with regards to lower grade devices.

I do see 2 limitations for sleeping nodes:
- a lightning specific one, i.e you need to process block data real-time in
case of incoming HTLC you need to claim on chain or a HTLC timeout. There
is a bunch of timelocks implications in LN,  with regards to CSV,
CLTV_DELTA, incoming policy, outgoing policy, ... and you can't really
afford to be late without loosing a payment. I don't see timelocks being
increase, that would hinder liquidity.
- a p2p bandwidth concern, even if this new class of nodes turn as public
ones, they would still have a heavy sync period due to be fallen-behind
during the day, so you would have huge bandwidth spikes every a timezone
falls asleep and a risk of choking upload links of stable full-nodes.

I think assume-utxo may be interesting in the future in case of long-fork
detection, you may be able to download a utxo-set on the fly, and fall-back
to a full-node. But that would be only an emergency measure, not a regular
cost on the backbone network.

Antoine