[bitcoin-dev] SAS: Succinct Atomic Swap

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Mon May 11 16:45:21 UTC 2020

Good morning Ruben,

CoinSwap for privacy is practically a "cross" chain atomic swap with the same chain and token for both sides of the swap, see also this set of ideas: https://github.com/AdamISZ/CoinSwapCS/issues/53

"Instead, Bob simply hands secretBob to Alice" is basically the same as private key turnover, as best as I can understand it, and gives significant advantages, also described in passing here: https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2020-May/017816.html

Overall, this looks very much like a working CoinSwap as well.

The Refund tx does not need anything more than a 2-of-2 script.
The "OR Alice in +1 day" branch can be implemented, at least on Bitcoin and similar blockchains, by signing a specific `nSequence`, or if the chain forking predates BIP68, by using absolute locktimes and signing a specific `nLockTime`, with the destination being just "Alice".
This should help privacy, as now all `scriptPubKey`s will be 2-of-2 (or P2PKH with 2p-ECDSA).

(It strikes me that the relative locktime is unnecessary on the output of this refund tx --- as long as both participants agree on either Alice or Bob having a longer locktime, you can just use the locktime on the refund tx directly as backout; see the topic "`nLockTime`-protected Backouts" on the CoinSwapCS issue link)

If you are willing to accept protocol complexity, having a variety of different versions of the transactions with different feerates could be used rather than the Decker-Russell-Osuntokun "eltoo" bring-your-own-fees method.
In terms of privacy this is better as you would not be using anything other than the most boring `SIGHASH_ALL` signing flag, whereas the Decker-Russell-Osuntokun will be identifiable onchain (and thus possibly flag the transaction as "of interest" to surveillors) due to use of `SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT`.
As long as the one resolving a particular side of the swap is the one that ocmpletes the signature (which I believe holds true for all branches?) then it would select the version of the transaction with the best feerate, which it effectively pays out to what it recovers.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj