[bitcoin-dev] SAS: Succinct Atomic Swap

Ruben Somsen rsomsen at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:50:21 UTC 2020

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

Thanks for your feedback :)

>CoinSwap for privacy is practically a "cross" chain atomic swap with the same chain and token for both sides of the swap

I agree, I didn't mean to imply that was new, only that this protocol
makes it more efficient.

>"Instead, Bob simply hands secretBob to Alice" is basically the same as private key turnover

Thanks for the link. I will add it to the links at the bottom of the
write-up, as I agree it's related. Do note there are a few key
differences:

- The swap is set up in an "asymmetric" way with only timelocks on one
side, so on the other side the swap *never* expires
- The timelocks are set up in such a way that the swap does not expire
unless Alice starts the relative timelock countdown (the revoke
transaction)
- This relative timelock setup comes practically for free, because the
asymmetry naturally requires that kind of setup

>The "OR Alice in +1 day" branch can be implemented, at least on Bitcoin and similar blockchains, by signing a specific `nSequence`

"OR Alice in +1 day" is "refund transaction #1" from the diagram. If
I'm not mistaken, the change you are suggesting is exactly how "refund
transaction #2" is constructed. Note that #1 and #2 serve the same
purpose. Strictly speaking, #1 is not needed at all, but it's there to
give Alice the option to back out of the swap in two transactions as
opposed to three.

>It strikes me that the relative locktime is unnecessary on the output of this refund tx

I believe I addressed this in the FAQ section (the question about
absolute timelocks). An absolute timelock is possible, but you then
need to make absolutely sure that the revoke transaction confirms in
time, otherwise the protocol can fail (namely after Bob has received a
copy of the success transaction and just waits and does nothing). You
also lose the ability to keep the channel open indefinitely.

>having a variety of different versions of the transactions with different feerates could be used

That's a good point.

>As long as the one resolving a particular side of the swap is the one that ocmpletes the signature (which I believe holds true for all branches?)

Unfortunately this does not hold for the revoke transaction. It would
be a bit awkward if Alice had a high fee copy after the protocol
completes. She could send it to the blockchain and essentially Bob
would be paying for it. I'm not as concerned about the other
transactions, because those could all be bumped with CPFP if needed,
but having different feerates would be nice.

And a general comment about privacy: it seems inevitable that some
information will be leaked if the protocol does not complete
cooperatively. As long as the cooperative case is not traceable, that
seems about as good as it can get. That's my view, at least. I'd be
curious to hear if you see that differently.

Cheers,
Ruben