[bitcoin-dev] SAS: Succinct Atomic Swap

Ruben Somsen rsomsen at gmail.com
Fri May 15 19:47:29 UTC 2020

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

>The proper response here is that Bob should broadcast success tx before
the refund tx #1 becomes valid.

That's right. And even if Bob neglects to do that, it still won't cause
chaos for Alice as long as she chooses the path for refund tx #2.

>at least part of the fund must be lost in fees and Bob can still suffer a
small loss

Yes, after protocol completion Alice can broadcast one more transaction
that is paid for by Bob, and Bob would have to respond with another
transaction of his own. As you said, bring-your-own-fees would be better
here (also see FAQ question "Can't Alice just publish the revoke_tx after
protocol completion?").

>the server should take Alice position and the client should take Bob
position [...] a client will want to make multiple CoinSwaps in sequence

I think this can be summarized as: whoever is planning to spend their UTXO
first should be Bob.

In your protocol it might make sense for the server and client to swap
roles depending on what the client plans to do. If they plan to swap again
soon, they can be Bob, if they don't, they're Alice.

But there's also another consideration: whoever is less likely to abort the
protocol should be Bob.

Clients can be unreliable. If clients are Bob, they can waste Alice's
resources by initiating the protocol and aborting (which imo is more severe
than the risk of the revoke tx getting published). Whereas if the client is
Alice, she'd be first to commit resources before the server commits
anything.

>ensure the txo is spent before refund tx #1 becoms valid

Yes, this is important. Luckily, pretty much all the options we discussed
could be applied here, including sighash_single + anyonecanpay. In your
specific example this seems preferable to adding a change output and making
multiple transactions with different RBF amounts, especially since this
only concerns a situation where the protocol stalls at a specific step
(after the success tx).

And I agree with your general assessment that three transactions are
required in order to pay a third party. This could be done from either side
of the swap, but of course it makes more sense to pay from the timelock
side and get rid of the online requirement.

Cheers,
Ruben