[bitcoin-dev] [Lightning-dev] On the scalability issues of onboarding millions of LN mobile clients

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Sun May 17 03:37:46 UTC 2020

> * At the same time, it retains your-keys-your-coins noncustodiality,
because every update of a Lightning channel requires your keys to sign off
on it.

Yes I agree, I can foresee an easier step where managing low-value channel
and get your familiar with smooth key management maybe a first step before
running a full-node and getting a more full-fledged key management solution.

> It may even be possible, that the Lightning future with massive SPV might
end up with more economic weight in SPV nodes, than in the world without
Lightning and dependent on centralized custodial services to scale.

Even evaluating economic weight in Lightning is hard, both parties have
their own chain view, and it's likely if you assume a hub-and-spoke
topology, leaf nodes are going to be SPV and internal nodes full-nodes ?

> Money makes the world go round, so such backup servers that are
publicly-facing rather than privately-owned should be somehow incentivized
to do so, or else they would not exist in the first place.

I was thinking about the current workflow, Alice downloads her New Shiny
LN-wallet, she is asked to backup the seed, she is asked to pick-up
backup(s) nodes among her friends, relatives or business partners and is
NOT provided any automatic hint and register backup nodes addresses, maybe
even do out-of-band key exchange with this full-node operator. Therefore
you may avoid centralization by having not such publicly-facing servers. Of
course, Alice can still scrawl the web to and be lured to pickup malicious
public servers but if she is severely notified to not do so that may be
enough.

So it would be a combination of UX+user education+fallback security
mechanism to avoid economy hijack. That maybe a better solution rather than
PoW-only SPV. We have an open network so you can't prevent someone to run
such type of client but at least if they have to do so you can provide them
with a better option ?

Antoine