[bitcoin-dev] MIN_STANDARD_TX_NONWITNESS_SIZE and OP_RETURN

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Sun May 24 00:52:13 UTC 2020

Good morning Thomas,

> So I think the question to ask would be "why can't we just make sure it's not 64?"

If we accept a 60-byte tx, then SHA-256 will pad it to 64 bytes, and it may still be possible to mount CVE-2017-12842 attack with 32-bits of work.
Of course some other details will be changed from the standard SHA-256 in mounting this attack, but from my poor understanding it seems safer to just avoid the area around length 64.

It *might* be safe to accept 65-byte or larger (but do not believe me, I only play a cryptographer on the Internet), but that does not help your specific application, which uses 60 byte tx.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj