[bitcoin-dev] MIN_STANDARD_TX_NONWITNESS_SIZE and OP_RETURN

Russell O'Connor roconnor at blockstream.com
Wed May 27 15:15:47 UTC 2020

I don't believe that 60 bytes is a problem here.  SHA256 padding includes a
length value of the original message data. Thus a padded non-64 byte
transaction can never be the same as any padded 64-byte value, and
therefore after applying the SHA256 compression function the resulting
hashes cannot be identical (unless SHA256 itself is broken).

P.S. SHA256 also includes 10* padding, which also suffices to ensure
messages of different lengths have different padding.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 8:52 PM ZmnSCPxj via bitcoin-dev <