[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Archaeology

Dan Bryant dkbryant at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 22:59:36 UTC 2020

I've gathered all the source archives from v0.1.0 to v0.9.0 with the
exception of one.

I can't get v0.1.2 anywhere.  None of the crawlers from Web Archive seemed
to have captured it.  I realize the build was recalled, but I would still
like to examine it purely out of curiosity.

Does anyone know of a mirror or have a personal copy of "bitcoin-0.1.2.rar"
from 2009 / 2010 that they would be willing to share?  Even a checksum
would be nice so I could verify what I had if I ever come across it in the
future.

First and last sighting of it on Web Archive:

*
http://web.archive.org/web/20091127010808/http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files
*
http://web.archive.org/web/20101210071124/http://sourceforge.net:80/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 11:41 PM Dan Bryant <dkbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> *
>> https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/binutils-2.19.1-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
>> *
>> https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/gcc-core-3.4.5-20051220-1.tar.gz
>> * https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/gcc-g++-3.4.5-20051220-1.tar.gz
>> *
>> https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingwrt-3.15.2-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
>> *
>> https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingwrt-3.15.2-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
>> * https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/w32api-3.13-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
>> *
>> https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingw32-make-3.81-20080326-2.tar.gz
>> * https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.11.exe
>> * https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/msysDTK-1.0.1.exe
>> * http://strawberryperl.com/download/5.8.8/strawberry-perl-5.8.8.2.zip
>> * https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/archive/v0.1.5.zip
>> * https://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxwindows/wxWidgets-2.8.11.zip
>> * https://github.com/openssl/openssl/archive/OpenSSL_0_9_8h.zip
>> * https://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.7.25.NC.zip
>> * https://downloads.sourceforge.net/boost/1.37.0/boost_1_37_0.zip
>> *
>> https://downloads.sourceforge.net/boost/boost-jam/boost-jam-3.1.17-1-ntx86.zip
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 9:06 AM Dan Bryant <dkbryant at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> TLDR; How to build old OpenSSL releases in MSYS/MinGW v1.0.11
>>>
>>> In a similar vein to the Github Artic Code Vault, and the Nakamoto
>>> Institute, I thought it would be educational to do a build of the first
>>> three versions of Bitcoin (v0.1.0, v0.1.3, and v0.1.5) [ref1].  Don't
>>> worry, I will keep these on a VLAN and not spam the IRC channel.
>>>
>>> Wanting to be as accurate as possible, I spun up some VMs to try to
>>> recreate the vintage Oct 2009 toolchains that were used.  The original
>>> Satoshi posts seem to imply that the builds could be done using Visual C++
>>> version 6.0 or MinGW and MSYS (which were at v1.0.11).  Since it looks like
>>> most versions of VC 6 have been purged from the internet, the only option
>>> left is MinGW which is still up on sourceforge.  Most things seemed to
>>> build OK, with the exception of OpenSSL, which looks to fail due to some
>>> issues in mk1mf.pl [ref2]  Perhaps there was a bad version of perl in
>>> MSYS v1.0.11, I'm not sure.
>>>
>>> So my question is..  Has anyone been here long enough to recall the
>>> steps to build OpenSSL v0.9.8h in MSYS 1.0.11?  Or, does anyone know where
>>> to find a non-sketchy copy of Visual C++ 6.0?
>>>
>>> My options so far seem to be.
>>>
>>> 1. Try to find out how Satoshi did the MinGW OpenSSL build back in 2009.
>>> 2. Try to do the OpenSSL build through Cygwin which could
>>> cross-complile to MinGW at the time
>>> 3. Try to do the  OpenSSL build through Msys2 with later versions of
>>> perl and libc
>>> 4. Buy some sketchy version of VC 6 on ebay and try that
>>> 5. Patch Bitcoin 0.1.0 to use OpenSSL v1.0.0 where they fixed the perl
>>> bug
>>> 6. Give up and use a precompiled OpenSSL release