[bitcoin-dev] Floating-Point Nakamoto Consensus

yanmaani at cock.li yanmaani at cock.li
Thu Oct 15 16:02:09 UTC 2020

What if a miner mines a block that has a very high block reward (i.e.
confirmed a juicy transaction), while at the same time having a floating
point fitness very close to the minimum?

For the sake of argument, let's say the block reward is 6.50 (4% more
than average), the fitness is 1.001, and the orphan rate is 0.3%.

With Nakamoto consensus, the miners would (allegedly) find it in their
best interest to work on that block, since it was first. It's a problem
when they don't, but the system basically works right now.

With FPNC, the miners have two equally valid options:
1) Attempt to create a block building on top of that block (reward:
6.25)
2) Attempt to replace (reward: 6.50)

If they do (1), their probability of success given a matching hash is
(100 - orphan rate)%, which is very close to 100%.
If they do the second, their probability of success given a hit is (100
- percentile(1.001)), which also is very close to 100%.

Option 1 has EV of .997 * 1 * 6.25 = 6.25.
Option 2 has EV of (1 - quantile(1.001)) * 1.04 * 6.25, which is surely
above 6.25. I don't know how to calculate the quantile, but it's
obvious.

With the block subsidy getting lower and lower as time goes on, the
probability of this happening goes up.

Don't we want miners to always keep the chain going forward? Your
proposal incentivizes reorgs.