[bitcoin-dev] Progress on bech32 for future Segwit Versions (BIP-173)

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Wed Oct 21 03:05:35 UTC 2020

> Anecdata: c-lightning doesn't allow withdraw to segwit > 0. It seems
> that the contributor John Barboza (CC'd) assumed that future versions
> should be invalid:
>
> if (bip173) {
> bool witness_ok = false;
> if (witness_version == 0 && (witness_program_len == 20 ||
> witness_program_len == 32)) {
> witness_ok = true;
> }
> /* Insert other witness versions here. */

I believe this is actually my code, which was later refactored by John Barboza when we were standardizing the `param` system.

This was intended only as a simple precaution against creating non-standard transaction, and not an assumption that future versions should be invalid.
The intent is that further `else if` branches would be added for newer witness versions and whatever length restrictions they may have, as the `/* Insert other witness versions here.  */` comment implies.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj