[bitcoin-dev] bips.txt format for all Bitcoin projects

Prayank prayank at tutanota.de
Mon Oct 26 19:03:21 UTC 2020

Hello Everyone,

What?

Can we request all Bitcoin projects to create a file 'bips.txt' with a format that describes all the BIPs used in the project?

How?

The file can be uploaded to the root of website used for the project. For example: BTCPay can have this file at:  https://btcpayserver.org/bips.txt in below format:

BIP78
https://docs.btcpayserver.org/Payjoin/

BIP Number:
Details:

BIP Number
Details:

Why?

Bitcoin Improvement Proposals play an important role in Bitcoin and this will make it easier for users, other devs, journalists, researchers, crawlers etc. to understand all BIPs used in different Bitcoin Projects, their implementation and importance.

Every BIP with details is mentioned here already: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips however I don't think all the devs who initially start researching about Bitcoin or the users really understand their importance, usage etc. So I am also trying to create BIPs gallery which has basic images for each BIP right now and later will include a page to have video links, usage, issues, history, other helpful links etc. later for each.

The discussion started with this question on stackexchange: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/98543/any-website-that-explains-most-of-the-bips-in-a-different-way-that-newbies-can-u/ <https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/98543/any-website-that-explains-most-of-the-bips-in-a-different-way-that-newbies-can-u/98544#98544>

Website that I am working on: https://bips.gallery/
Github repository for it: https://github.com/prayank23/BIPsGallery

--
Prayank