[bitcoin-dev] reviving op_difficulty

Thomas Hartman thomashartman1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 20:07:21 UTC 2020

This is in reply to David harding’s message at

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2020-August/018129.html <https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2020-August/018129.html>

(For some reason didn’t arrive in my inbox, so I was late noticing it, and I am replying in this way. Sorry if it screws up threading.)

Powswap sounds great! And it doesn’t require any protocol changes! Very cool.

One potential problem I see with powswap is iiuc you need something like watchtowers, or the loser of the bet can sweep the funds if the winner is napping. Related, I’d also like to have trades happening in lightning channels, and I’m not sure how this race affects the security assumptions there.

Further question about powswap.

It’s currently block 64632 with retarget in 808 blocks. I’d like to bet that

* the first 6 blocks after the retarget are found in under an hour
* AND the new difficulty exceeds some threshold. Is such a bet currently possible with powswap?

I see how pow swap lets you bet on hashrate (ie block times) from current time till some future time. But I would like to also bet on hashrate of slices of time in the future. Possible?