[bitcoin-dev] Detailed protocol design for routed multi-transaction CoinSwap

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 01:10:36 UTC 2020

Hi Zeeman,

I think one of the general problems for any participant in an
interdependent chain of contracts like Lightning or CoinSwap is to avoid a
disequilibrium in its local HTLC ledger. Concretely sending forward more
than you receive backward. W.r.t, timelocks delta aim to enforce order of
events, namely that a forward contract must be terminated before any
backward contract to avoid a discrepancy in settlement. Order of events can
be enforced by a) absolute timelocks and thus linearized on the same scale
by blockchain ticks or b) by a counterparty to two relative-time locked
contracts which observe the broadcast of the backward transaction and thus
manually trigger the kickoff of forward timelock by broadcasting the
corresponding transaction.

With this rough model in mind, pinning an absolute or relative timelocked
transaction produce the same effect, i.e breaking contracts settlement
order.

> This can be arranged by having one side offer partial signatures for the
transaction of the other, and once completing the signature, not sharing it
with the other until we are ready to actually broadcast the transaction of
our own volition.
> There is no transaction that both participants hold in completely-signed
form

I don't think that's different from the current model where you have either
a valid HTLC-timeout or HTLC-Sucess tx to solve a HTLC output but never
full witness material to build both ?

I see a theoretical issue with RBF-range, if you're likely to lose the
balance, you can broadcast your highest-RBF version thus incentivizing
miners to censor counterparty claim tx. Kind of a "nothing at stake" issue.
As of today, you have to take this fee out of your pocket if you want to
incentivize miners to act so, not promising a fee from an ongoing disputed
balance.

> Private key turnover is still useful even in an absolute-timelock world.

The way I understand the either-HTLC-or-private-key-turnover construction
in CoinSwap is for the HTLC to serve as a security backup in case the
cooperative key turnover fails. Lightning don't have this model as you
don't switch funding transaction ownership.

> To reduce this risk, A can instead first swap A->B->A, then when that
completes, A->C->A.
This limits its funding lockup to 1 week.

Okay I think I understand your point. So by intermediating the chain with
the taker you ensure that in case of previous hop failure, taker funds are
only timelocked for the delta of this faulting hop not the whole route. But
still not anchoring onchain the next route segment means that any moment
the next maker can exit from the proposed position ?

That's interesting, so a) you require all takers to lock their funds
onchain before initiating the whole routing and you will pay more in
service fees or b) you only lock them step by step but you increase risk of
next hop default and thus latency. Roughly.

It might be an interesting construction to explore on its own, minus the
downside of producing weird spend patterns due to next hop maker bidding
with another party.

Cheers,

Antoine