[bitcoin-dev] A Replacement for RBF and CPFP: Non-Destructive TXID Dependencies for Fee Sponsoring

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 23:10:23 UTC 2020

Right, I was off the shot. Thanks for the explanation.

As you mentioned, if the goal of the sponsor mechanism is to let any party
drive a state N's first tx to completion, you still have the issue of
concurrent states being pinned and thus non-observable for sponsoring by an
honest party.

E.g, Bob can broadcast a thousand of revoked LN states and pin them with
low-feerate sponsors such as these malicious packages absolute fee are
higher than the honest state N. Alice can't fee-sponsor
them as we can assume she hasn't a global view of network mempools. Due to
the proposed policy rule "The Sponsor Vector's entry must be present in the
mempool", Alice's sponsors won't propagate. Even amending this rule, we
can't assume Alice has a thousand of sponsoring utxos to avoid conflict
between her own broadcast.

Of course, offchain protocols designers can limit a participant's
capability to construct a pinning package by constraining its malleability
and thus to always have a compelling feerate. E.g in Lightning you can bind
the size of a commitment transaction by refusing relayed HTLCs and thus
have less HTLC outputs. This security increase comes at the price of less
protocol flexibility, e.g reducing payments throughput.

Further, a malicious counterparty can still take advantage of
mempool-congestion spikes. Even if the pinning package has a compelling
feerate, high enough to bounce off a honest broadcast, there is no
guarantee it stays such. Just after the pinning, congestion can increase
and bury it for long-enough until a timelock expires.

If we want to solve the hard cases of pinning, I still think mempool
acceptance of a whole package only on the merits of feerate is the easiest
solution to reason on.