[bitcoin-dev] Statechain coinswap: assigning blame for failure in a two-stage transfer protocol.

Tom Trevethan tom at commerceblock.com
Mon Sep 21 00:54:47 UTC 2020

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

Thanks for the reply.

> Okay, I suppose this is much too high-level a view, and I have no idea
what you mean by "statecoin" exactly.

Sorry, most of the protocol details are in the links, but terminology
should be made clearer. A "statecoin" is a UTXO that is a 2-of-2 between
the owner and SE (the tr*sted signing server) i.e. can be transferred
off-chain.

Also, should have been clear that `addr1` is the 'statecoin address' which
is different from the on-chain address (the shared public key the bitcoin
is paid to). The on-chain address does not change, whereas
the 'statecoin address' changes with each new owner and is used to
authenticate owners to the SE and act as proof of ownership on
the statechain - it is not related to the onchain address/pubkey and
controlled by the owner only.

> So it seems to me that this requires tr\*st that the coordinator is not
going to collude with other participants.

This is correct. The SE also must be trusted to not actively defraud users.
The main advantage of this scheme is that assuming the SE can be trusted,
it is strictly non-custodial.

> This is strictly worse than say Wasabi, where the coordinator colluding
with other participants only allows the coordinator to break privacy, not
outright steal funds.
> It seems to me that the trust-minimized CoinSwap plan by belcher_ is
superior to this, with reduced scope for theft.

This is true if the overriding aim is trust minimisation, but not if the
aim is speed and cost while staying non-custodial. Off-chain SE
transactions are near instant and orders of magnitude cheaper than
on-chain. Probably best thought of as a non-custodial centralised mixer.

Tom