[bitcoin-dev] March 23rd 2021 Taproot Activation Meeting Notes

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Tue Apr 6 04:25:21 UTC 2021

Jeremy via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> writes:
> We had a very productive meeting today. Here is a summary of the meeting --
> I've done my best to
> summarize in an unbiased way. Thank you to everyone who attended.
>
> 1. On the use of a speedy trial variant:
>
> - There are no new objections to speedy trial generally.
> - There is desire to know if Rusty retracts or reaffirms his NACK in light
> of the responses.

I do not withdraw my NACK (and kudos: there have been few attempts to
pressure me to do so!).

The core question always was: what do we do if miners fail to activate?

Luke-Jr takes the approach that "we (i.e developers) ensure it activates
anyway".  I take the approach that "the users must make a direct
intervention".  Speedy Trial takes the approach that "let's pretend we
didn't *actually* ask them".

It's totally a political approach, to avoid facing the awkward question.
Since I believe that such prevaricating makes a future crisis less
predictable, I am forced to conclude that it makes bitcoin less robust.

Personally, I think the compromise position is using LOT=false and
having those such as Luke and myself continue working on a LOT=true
branch for future consideration.  It's less than optimal, but I
appreciate that people want Taproot activated more than they want
the groundwork future upgrades.

I hope that helps,
Rusty.