[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Bitcoin Secure Multisig Setup

Erik Aronesty erik at q32.com
Sat Apr 10 13:53:20 UTC 2021

here's what we do for multisig:

- each member generates their own public/private key pair first and
publishes the pair to all other members
- members are then verified using a secondary channel, like a phone
call ... where the H128(pubk) is turned into BIP-words for
manual/visual verification
- multi-round DKG is used with appropriate commitments and
verification of components  (nice article:
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s00145-006-0347-3.pdf)

without that, there's simply no guarantee that you're not
communicating with an attacker during setup.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 2:53 AM Hugo Nguyen via bitcoin-dev