[bitcoin-dev] Gradual transition to an alternate proof without a hard fork.

vjudeu vjudeu at gazeta.pl
Sat Apr 17 09:41:44 UTC 2021

Yes, transition from Proof of Work to Proof of Something Else is possible in a soft-fork way. All that is needed is getting miners and users support. Then, Proof of Work difficulty should drop to one, and the rest would be solved by Proof of Something Else. Old miners still could use ASIC miners to produce blocks with higher Proof of Work, but then their blocks would be rejected. Currently, you can also make a block with enormously low hash, but if this block would contain two transactions sending the same coins to two different places, it would be rejected, no matter how low that hash would be. As long as miners would produce enough Proof of Something Else and as long as most nodes would use upgraded software, it should be resistant to such attacks.

So, technically speaking, it is possible. The most difficult part is getting miners and users supporting it.