[bitcoin-dev] BIP - limiting OP_RETURN / HF

Zach Greenwood zachgrw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 08:45:31 UTC 2021

[Note: this is my first post to the list]

Businesses storing data on-chain is undesirable but sadly unavoidable.
Therefore one might as well *facilitate* data storage beyond just OP_RETURN
by offering a more efficient way to store data on-chain, while still being
almost as expensive in use per byte of payload (i.e., data) compared to
using OP_RETURN.

Storing data using OP_RETURN is still inefficient per byte of payload so a
more efficient dedicated data storing facility might be created that stores
more payload data per on-chain byte. Such a facility should be (marginally)
cheaper to use per payload byte compared to using a hack such as OP_RETURN.
This would encourage the use of this facility in favor of OP_RETURN or
other hacks, while at the same time dramatically reducing the footprint of
storing data on-chain.

Zac

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 4:29 AM yanmaani--- via bitcoin-dev <