[bitcoin-dev] Reminder on the Purpose of BIPs

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Sun Apr 25 20:29:44 UTC 2021

There appears to be some severe lack of understanding of the point of the BIP process here.

The BIP process exists to be a place for those in the Bitcoin development community (which includes anyone who wishes to
participate in it!) to place specifications which may be important for others in the Bitcoin development community to
see, to ensure interoperability.

It does not, should not, and has never existed to take any positions on...anything. It has always existed to allow those
who wish to participate in the Bitcoin development community to publish proposed standards or deployed protocols, in
whatever form the authors of the BIPs seem fit.

If anyone suggests changes with a BIP's proposed form in a way the original author does not agree with, they have always
been free to, and should simply create a new BIP with their proposed form.

The BIP editor's role has always been, and should continue to be, to encourage BIP authors to respond to (either by
dismissing or accepting) feedback on their BIPs, and encourage formatting in a standard form. The BIP editor's role has
never included, and should not include, taking a stance on substantive changes to a BIP's contents - those are up to the
author(s) of a BIP, and always have been.

If the BIP editor is deliberately refusing to accept changes which the author's approval (which appears to be occurring
here), the broader development community (us) should either remove the BIP editor and replace them, or simply ignore the
BIP repository entirely (which seems like the most likely outcome here). There really should be no debate over this
point, and I'm not entirely sure why anyone would think there should be.

Luckily BIPs aren't really all that critical in this instance - they exist to communicate protocols for
interoperability, and in this case the protocol changes as proposed have been broadly communicated already.

Still, given the apparent lack of desire to remove the BIP editor in this case, I'd suggest we all move on and simply
ignore the BIP repository entirely. Simply sending notices of protocol systems to this mailing list is likely sufficient.

Matt