[bitcoin-dev] [Lightning-dev] Removing the Dust Limit

shymaa arafat shymaa.arafat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 09:07:35 UTC 2021

Allow me to ask:

-Untill you find a mitigation that consolidate all dust UTXOS, why don't
you separate them and all probably Unspendable UTXOS in a different
partition?
-I'm talking at the real UTXO storage level (to be kept in secondary
storage), and at the Merkleization level in any accumulator design Utreexo
or what so ever(putting them in one or two subtree/forest with hardly
changing roots according to the categorization will reduce the proof size,
even if slightly)
-This will also help things like Bloom filters, assume UTXOs,...etc when
about 10% with almost zero probability are trimmed from the pool you are
withdrawing from.
.
-The paper I mentioned earlier says in Feb 2018, there was about 2.4m UTXOS
less than 1000 Satoshi, of which ~824,892 holds exactly 1 Satoshi
-I don't think any of those were spent since that time, in fact there could
be a possibility that the numbers may have increased
-As the last previous reply mentioned you have to consider the long run
effect on the UTXO set forever, this is a straight forward improvement that
comes with almost no effort
.
Ps.
-If there is something wrong, something I missed in this idea please
explain it to me
-Or do you find the improvement itself a "dust" that doesn't worth the
effort???
.
Regards & thank you all for your time in reading & replying
Shymaa M. Arafat
On Fri, Aug 27, 2021, 00:06 Billy Tetrud via bitcoin-dev <