[bitcoin-dev] Proposal for a few IANA mime-types related to Bitcoin
Peter D. Gray
peter at coinkite.com
Tue Aug 31 18:27:41 UTC 2021
I am proposing to register the following MIME (RFC 2046) media types with the IANA:
- aka. a BIP-174 file, in binary
- does not make any claims about signed/unsigned status; lets leave that to the file
- aka. wire-ready fully-signed transaction in binary
- aka [BIP-21](https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0021.mediawiki)
- could be just a bare bech32 or base58 payment address
- but can also encode amount, comments in URL args
- potentially interesting as a response to 402 - Payment required
- some mime-types are proposed in BIP-71 but those are unrelated to above, and never
seem to have been registered
- for those who like to encode their binary as base64 or hex, that can be indicated
as "encoding=hex" or "encoding=base64" in the optional parameters, just like
"text/plain; encoding=utf-8" does. However, the default must be binary.
- although the above are useful for web servers, they are also useful elsewhere and I
intend to use them in NFC (NDEF records) where a shorter length is critical.
- I have no idea how easily IANA will accept these proposals.
- current approved mime types: https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml
@DocHEX || Coinkite || PGP: A3A31BAD 5A2A5B10
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 488 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the bitcoin-dev