[bitcoin-dev] A fee-bumping model

darosior darosior at protonmail.com
Wed Dec 8 14:51:25 UTC 2021

Hi Gloria,

I agree with regard to the RBF changes. To me, we should (obviously?) do ancestor feerate instead of requiring confirmed inputs (#23121).
However, we are yet to come with a reasonable policy-only fix to "rule 3 pinning".

>> The part of Revault we are interested in for this study is the delegation process, and more
>> specifically the application of spending policies by network monitors (watchtowers).
>
> I'd like to better understand how fee-bumping would be used, i.e. how the watchtower model works:
> - Do all of the vault parties both deposit to the vault and a refill/fee to the watchtower, is there a reward the watchtower collects for a successful Cancel, or something else? (Apologies if there's a thorough explanation somewhere that I haven't already seen).
> - Do we expect watchtowers tracking multiple vaults to be batching multiple Cancel transaction fee-bumps?
> - Do we expect vault users to be using multiple watchtowers for a better trust model? If so, and we're expecting batched fee-bumps, won't those conflict?

Grossly, it could be described as "enforce spending policied on 10BTC worth of delegated coins by allocating 5mBTC to 3 different watchtowers".
Each participant that will be delegating coins is expected to run a number of watchtowers. They should ideally be replicated (for full disclosure if
it wasn't obvious providing replication is the business model of the company behind the Revault project :p).
You can't batch fee-bumps as you *could* (maybe not *would*) do with anchor outputs channels, since the latter use CPFP and we "sponsor"
(or whatever the name of "supplementing the fees of a transaction by adding inputs" is).
In the current model, watchtowers enforcing the same policy do compete in that they broadcast conflicting transactions since they attach different
fee-bumping inputs. Ideally we could sign the added feebumping inputs themselves with ACP so they are allowed to cooperate. However doing that
would allow anyone on the network to snip the added fees to perform a "RBF rule-3 pinning".
Finally, there could be concerns around game theory of letting others' watchtowers feebump for you. I'm convinced however that in our case the fee
is completely dwarfed by the value at stake. Trying to delay your own WT's fee-bump reaction to hope someone else will pay the 10k sats for enforcing
a 1BTC contract, hmmm, i wouldn't do that.

Thanks for expliciting that, i should have mentioned it. For everyone reading the PR is at https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/23121 .

>> can't use ANYONECANPAY|SINGLE since it would open a pinning vector [3]. Note how we can't leverage
>> the carve out rule, and neither can any other more-than-two-parties contract.
>
> Well stated about CPFP carve out. I suppose the generalization is that allowing n extra ancestorcount=2 descendants to a transaction means it can help contracts with <=n+1 parties (more accurately, outputs)? I wonder if it's possible to devise a different approach for limiting ancestors/descendants, e.g. by height/width/branching factor of the family instead of count... :shrug:

I don't think so, because you want any party involved in the contract to be able to unilaterally enforce it. With >2 anchor outputs any 2-parties can
collude against the other one(s) by pinning the transaction using the first party's output to hit the descendant chain limit and the second one to trigger
the carve-out.

Ideally i think it'd be better that all contracts move toward using sponsoring ("tx malleation") when we can (ie for all transactions that are at the end of
the chain, or post-ANYPREVOUT any transaction really) instead of CPFP for fee-bumping because:
1. It's way easier to reason about wrt mempool DOS protections (the fees don't depend on a chain of childs, it's just a function of the transaction alone)
2. It's more space efficient (and thereby economical): you don't need to create a new transaction (or a set of new txs) to bump your fees.

Unfortunately, having to use ACP instead of ACP|SINGLE is a showstopper. Managing a fee-bumping UTxO pool is a massive burden.
On a side note, thinking back about ACP|SINGLE vs ACP i'm not so sure anymore the latter opens up more pinning vectors than the former..

> IIUC, a Cancel transaction can be generalized as a 1-in-1-out where the input is presigned with counterparties, SIGHASH_ANYONECANPAY. The fan-out UTXO pool approach is a clever solution. I also think this smells like a case where improving lower-level RBF rules is more appropriate than requiring applications to write workarounds and generate extra transactions. Seeing that the BIP125#2 (no new unconfirmed inputs) restriction really hurts in this case, if that rule were removed, would you be able to simply keep the 1 big UTXO per vault and cut out the exact nValue you need to fee-bump Cancel transactions? Would that feel less like "burning" for the sake of fee-bumping?

I am not sure. It's a question i raised when i was made aware of your finding of the "no unconfirmed" rule defect and your proposal to move to ancestor
score instead. Without further consideration i'd say yes, but this needs more research. I'm also biased as i really want to get rid of this coin pool for both
the complexity and the social cost..

>> First of all, when to fee-bump? At fixed time intervals? At each block connection? It sounds like,
>> given a large enough timelock, you could try to greed by "trying your luck" at a lower feerate and
>> only re-bumping every N blocks. You would then start aggressively bumping at every block after M
>> blocks have passed.
>
> I'm wondering if you also considered other questions like:
> - Should a fee-bumping strategy be dependent upon the rate of incoming transactions? To me, it seems like the two components are (1) what's in the mempool and (2) what's going to trickle into the mempool between now and the target block. The first component is best-effort keeping incentive-compatible mempool; historical data and crystal ball look like the only options for incorporating the 2nd component.
> - Should the fee-bumping strategy depend on how close you are to your timelock expiry? (though this seems like a potential privacy leak, and the game theory could get weird as you mentioned).
> - As long as you have a good fee estimator (i.e. given a current mempool, can get an accurate feerate given a % probability of getting into target block n), is there any reason to devise a fee-bumping strategy beyond picking a time interval?

I think (again, ideally) applications should take `estimatesmarfee` as a black box, and not look into the mempool by themselves. Now whether we should
take into account the mempool data for short target estimation, i don't know. The first issue that comes to mind is how to measure whether your mempool
is "up-to-date" (i mean if you have most of the current unconfirmed transactions). Weak blocks were mentionned elsewhere, and i think they can help for
this (you don't influence your estimate by the rate of new unconfirmed transactions you hear about, but what miners are currently working on). Now, sure,
the expected time before the next block would be 10min. But for a short target estimate it still seems better to base your estimate on the most up-to-date
data you can get? (maybe not? Can a statistician chime in?)

This section was about arguing that it doesn't make sense to start low and get to next-block feerate as you approach your timelock expiration. Is your
question about whether it makes sense to start, as you get closer to timelock maturation, feebumping not on the basis of what your fee estimator gives
you but blindly i don't believe it does. If all you have is a fee-bumping method, all confirmation problems look like a fee-paying one :p.
You are already assuming your fee estimator is working and isn't being manipulated. If it does, and you don't get confirmed after X blocks and as many
re-bumping attempts the problem is elsewhere imo.

> It would be interesting to see stats on the spread of feerates in blocks during periods of fee fluctuation.
>
>> > In the event that you notice a consequent portion of the block is filled with transactions paying
>> > less than your own, you might want to start panicking and bump your transaction fees by a certain
>> > percentage with no consideration for your fee estimator. You might skew miners incentives in doing
>> > so: if you increase the fees by a factor of N, any miner with a fraction larger than 1/N of the
>> > network hashrate now has an incentive to censor your transaction at first to get you to panic.
>
>> Yes I think miner-harvesting attacks should be weighed carefully in the design of offchain contracts fee-bumping strategies, at least in the future when the mining reward exhausts further.
>
> Miner-harvesting (such cool naming!) is interesting, but I want to clarify the value of N - I don't think it's the factor by which you increase the fees on just your transaction.
> To codify: your transaction pays a fee of `f1` right now and might pay a fee of `f2` in a later block that the miner expects to mine with 1/N probability. The economically rational miner isn't incentivized if simply `f2 = N * f1` unless their mempool is otherwise empty.
> By omitting your transaction in this block, the miner can include another transaction/package paying `g1` fees instead, so they lose `f1-g1` in fees right now. In the future block, they have the choice between collecting `f2` or `g2` (from another transaction/package) in fees, so their gain is `max(f2-g2, 0)`.
> So the equation is more like: a miner with 1/N of the hashrate, employing this censorship strategy, gains only if `max(f2-g2, 0) > N * (f1-g1)`. More broadly, the miner only profits if `f2` is significantly higher than `g2` and `f1` is about the same feerate as everything else in your mempool: it seems like they're betting on how much you _overshoot_, not how much you bump.

Right. I was talking in the worst case where they don't have a replacement package with a feerate of `g1`. They are even more incentivized to try that if they do.
Since `f1` is already expected to be the next block feerate, by how much you bump is technically by how much your overshoot. So much for dismissing your fee
estimator!

> Slightly related question: in contracts, generally, the timelock deadline is revealed in the script, so the miner knows how "desperate" we are right?

For P2WSH, yes.

> Is that a problem?

I don't think so. As long as we don't bump the feerate by the N factor mentioned above, they have an incentive to try to take the fees while they still can (or someone else will).

> For Revault, if your Cancel transaction is a keypath spend (I think I remember reading that somewhere?) and you don't reveal the script, they don't see your timelock deadline yes?

It *could* be once we move to Taproot (2weeks). Yep! They would only know about it on a successful spend which would reveal the branch with the timelock. It's
a good point in that the attack above could be made impractical through privacy. Although i don't think it's realistic: due to the necessary script-path spends it would
be trivial to cluster coins managed by a Revault setup and deduce whether a given transaction is a Cancel with very high accuracy.

> Again, thanks for the digging and sharing. :)

Thanks for the interest and getting me to re-think through this!

Best,
Antoine