[bitcoin-dev] [Bitcoin Advent Calendar] Decentralized Coordination Free Mining Pools

Billy Tetrud billy.tetrud at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 16:57:03 UTC 2021

@Jeremy
>   for top-level pool participants there is never any central custody.

I definitely see that. That was actually what I meant when I said the goals
aren't the same as benefits. While your idea definitely satisfies all your
goals in a modular way, the fact that it relies on pools means that unless
the pools can also satisfy the goals, the total system also doesn't satisfy
the goals (even tho the piece of that system you designed does).

> Thus it doesn't "hurt" anyone except for the miners who are taking the
not fully locked in funds risk

True, it only potentially hurts whoever the channel partner is accepting
the unspendable coins. And no one can really stop anyone from taking that
risk if they really want to. But in that case, its not exactly a fully
functional channel, since recourse mechanisms couldn't be performed.
Wouldn't that open such a channel up to a pretty bad theft possibility?

@Bob
> Increased payout regularity does not lower the viable size of mining
pools, because smaller mining pools using this mechanism still have higher
variance.

Yes, smaller mining pools will always have higher variance. However, lower
variance has diminishing benefits. Below a certain amount of variance, less
variance isn't very valuable. So increased payout regularity does indeed
lower the viable size of mining pools because a given low-enough level of
variance can be achieved with less pool hashpower.

> The on-chain footprint is *higher* due to the increased payout regularity.

That's a reasonable point. However, I think there is a difference here
between the regularity of rewards vs payouts. Rewards for each miner can be
more regular without necessarily increasing the number of on-chain payouts.
In fact, theoretically, an individual miner could let their rewards
accumulate in a pool over many rewards and only redeem when they need the
coins for something. The incentive is there for each miner to be judicious
on how much onchain space they take up.

@vjudeu

> how many block headers should be stored per one "superblock"?

I was thinking that this would be a separate blockchain with separate
headers that progress linearly like a normal blockchain. A block creator
would collect together as many blocks that haven't been collected yet into
the next superblock (and maybe receive a reward proportional to how many /
how much weight they include). This could be done using merge mining, or it
could be done using a signing scheme (eg where the block creator signs to
say "I created this superblock" and have mechanisms to punish those who
sign multiple superblocks at the same height. For merge mining, I could
even imagine the data necessary to validate that it has been merge mined
could be put into a taproot script branch (creating an invalid script, but
a valid hash of the superblock).

> we can collect all headers with the same previous block hash, and
distribute block reward between all coinbase transactions in those headers

Exactly.

> we would just have block headers instead of transactions

Yeah, I think that would be the way to go. Really, you could even just use
hashes of the block headers. But the size doesn't matter much because it
would be both a small blockchain and an ephemeral one (which can be fully
discarded after all parties have been paid out, or at least their payout
has been committed to on the bitcoin blockchain).