[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Bitcoin Secure Multisig Setup

Pavol Rusnak stick at satoshilabs.com
Thu Feb 11 13:25:08 UTC 2021

> ENCRYPTION_KEY = SHA256(SHA256(TOKEN))

This scheme might be vulnerable to rainbow table attack.

The following scheme might be more secure:

DESCRIPTION = ASCII description provided by user
NONCE = 256-bit random number
ENCRYPTION_KEY = hmac-sha256(key=NONCE, msg=DESCRIPTION)

Coordinator distributes DESCRIPTION (fka TOKEN) together with NONCE to the
signers.

Also, is there any reason why you'd want to disable encryption? Why not
keep that as mandatory?

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 12:39, Hugo Nguyen via bitcoin-dev <

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 2:19 AM Christopher Allen <
> ChristopherA at lifewithalacrity.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 2:06 AM Hugo Nguyen <hugo at nunchuk.io> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't think reusing XPUBs inside different multisig wallets is a good
>>> idea... For starters, loss of privacy in one wallet will immediately affect
>>> privacy of other wallets. I think multisig wallets should be completely
>>> firewalled from each other. That means one unique XPUB per wallet. This is
>>> what we have been doing with the Nunchuk wallet.
>>>

>> To be clear, I have stated repeatedly that xpub reuse into multisig is a
>> poor practice. However, finding a trustless solution when a wallet is
>> airgapped with no network, or is stateless like Trezor, is quite hard.
>>
>> The challenge also includes how does an airgapped or stateless wallet
>> know that it is talking to the same process on the other side that that it
>> gave the xpub to in the first place. Without state to allow for a
>> commitment, or at least a TOFU, a cosigner who thought he was part of a 3
>> of 5 could discover that he instead is in a 2 of 3, or in a script with an
>> OR, as some form of scam.
>>

> The shared secret approach that I mentioned in the proposal actually can
> help you here. The TOKEN doubles as a session ID - thereby establishing a
> common state on both sides.
>
> Best,
> Hugo
>

>> — Christopher Allen