[bitcoin-dev] BIP70 is dead. What now?

Charles Hill chill at degreesofzero.com
Fri Feb 19 10:33:45 UTC 2021

Hi, Thomas,

I developed a URL signing scheme for use with LNURL as a method for
authorizing payments on behalf of offline devices /applications. It's
not specifically off-chain or on-chain related, but could be repurposed.
The gist of the scheme is as follows:

Before any signing is done:

0) Generate an API key (ID/reference, secret, encoding) to be shared
between a server and an offline device or application.

To generate a signature:

1) Generate a random nonce (unique per API key)

2) Build a query string with the `id`, `nonce`, `tag`, "Server
parameters" (see [Subprotocols](#subprotocols) above), and any custom
parameters. The `id` parameter should be equal to the API key's ID.
Example:
`id=b6cb8e81e3&nonce=d585674cf991dbbab42b&tag=withdrawRequest&minWithdrawable=5000&maxWithdrawable=7000&defaultDescription=example&custom1=CUSTOM1_PARAM_VALUE&custom2=CUSTOM2_PARAM_VALUE`.
Note that both the keys and values for query parameters should be URL
encoded. The following characters should be __unescaped__: `A-Z a-z 0-9
- _ . ! ~ * ' ( )`. See
[encodeURIComponent](https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/encodeURIComponent#description)
for more details.

3) Sort the query parameters by key (alphabetically). This is referred
to as the "payload". Example:
`custom1=CUSTOM1_PARAM_VALUE&custom2=CUSTOM2_PARAM_VALUE&defaultDescription=example&id=b6cb8e81e3&maxWithdrawable=7000&minWithdrawable=5000&nonce=d585674cf991dbbab42b&tag=withdrawRequest`

4) Sign the payload (the sorted query string) using the API key secret.
Signatures are generated using HMAC-SHA256, where the API key secret is
the key.

5) Append the signature to the payload as follows:
`custom1=CUSTOM1_PARAM_VALUE&custom2=CUSTOM2_PARAM_VALUE&defaultDescription=example&id=b6cb8e81e3&maxWithdrawable=7000&minWithdrawable=5000&nonce=d585674cf991dbbab42b&tag=withdrawRequest&signature=HMAC_SHA256_SIGNATURE`.

You can find more details here:

https://github.com/chill117/lnurl-node#how-to-implement-url-signing-scheme

I would change a few things with this scheme to fit better with the
use-case you describe. For example:

* Remove the "tag" and LNURL-specific parameters

* Instead of HMAC-SHA256 with a shared secret, it could use pub/priv key
signing instead. The lnurl-auth subprotocol has an interesting approach
to protecting user privacy while allowing verification of signatures.
See for more details on that:

https://github.com/fiatjaf/lnurl-rfc/blob/master/lnurl-auth.md

- chill