[bitcoin-dev] BIP70 is dead. What now?

Andrew Kozlik andrew.kozlik at satoshilabs.com
Fri Feb 19 13:34:16 UTC 2021

Hi Thomas,

I am working on an experimental implementation [1] of a new payment request
format in Trezor T. In some respects it's similar to BIP-70. The main
differences are:

1. There is no reliance on X.509, since that seems to have been the main
reason for BIP-70's downfall. The signature is mandatory, since for us the
main feature is protection against a man-in-the-middle attack. So in this
sense it's more similar to BOLT11.

2. It can be used to solve a similar problem with coin exchange. When you
are sending BTC to a trusted exchange service and expecting another
cryptocurrency in return, say LTC, you want to be sure that you not only
have the correct BTC address, but also that the exchange service has your
correct LTC address.

3. It uses an optional nonce for replay protection.

The two interesting parts in [1] are probably the `TxAckPaymentRequest`
protobuf message [2] and the signature verification [3]. The protobuf
message is only for communication between Trezor and the host software
running on the user's computer. It's not intended for interchange between
wallets. We haven't defined the interchange format yet. I intend to create
a SLIP documenting all this.

Andrew

[1] https://github.com/trezor/trezor-firmware/compare/andrewkozlik/payreq2
[2]
https://github.com/trezor/trezor-firmware/blob/andrewkozlik/payreq2/common/protob/messages-bitcoin.proto#L403-L427
[3]
https://github.com/trezor/trezor-firmware/blob/andrewkozlik/payreq2/core/src/apps/bitcoin/sign_tx/payment_request.py

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Charles Hill via bitcoin-dev <