[bitcoin-dev] Yesterday's Taproot activation meeting on lockinontimeout (LOT)

Keagan McClelland keagan.mcclelland at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 19:33:11 UTC 2021

I wanted to follow up on what Jeremy and others are saying regards finding
consensus on LOT. I've seen a few other opinions saying that finding
consensus on the LOT value is far more important than what the LOT value
actually is. This makes sense because if 100% of economic activity is
running the same rule set, there is no divergence, regardless of which
value is picked.

It is my understanding that those who oppose LOT=true are mostly opposed on
the grounds of it *appearing* "unnecessarily coercive" and that this lack
of consensus can precipitate a chain split at the "brinksmanship period" as
Jeremy refers to it. I don't think that we can say that LOT=true is
coercive at all unless there is some opposition to Taproot itself.
Opposition on the grounds that it *may* be opposed by others and Core does
not want to assert control over the protocol is a conservative view but
ultimately contingent upon opposition to Taproot for more fundamental
reasons. If no one opposes it, then by definition you have consensus, and
in that case I also don't think that the LOT=true (or false) in that regard
sets meaningful precedent, as I would expect precedents to only be
meaningful if they were established during a contentious scenario. As it
stands we have precedents for both MASF's and UASF's to execute soft forks
in Bitcoin.

Of course it seems intractable to ascertain the views of ~100% of the
Bitcoin constituency, and therefore it gives credibility to the argument
that by coming to consensus on LOT=false among those who *are* speaking up
is safer with the embedded assumptions that modifying consensus beyond what
core ships is an active choice, presumably by those who know what they are
doing. However, the simple act of Core choosing to ship an unconfigurable
LOT=false value does not *prevent* the forking and creation of a UASF
client. As Jeremy points out, the LOT=true possibility always exists here,
and we have multiple high profile people saying they will be running that
regardless of how things turn out. It seems to me that in this scenario,
LOT=false does less to prevent a chain split.

In regards to precedent, there may be good reasons to force that minority
to fork themselves off the network, as would be the case if a hypothetical
soft fork was a consensus action to blacklist some UTXO's or something else
that weaponizes consensus against some subset of Bitcoin's user base, but I
haven't heard a single person who advocates for LOT=false on the grounds
that they *themselves* oppose the consensus change that is being proposed
here. So if the goal is to prevent a chain split, and the soft fork is
benign and essentially "annexing unoccupied territory" with respect to
script versions, and no one actually has opposed Taproot itself, then I
fail to see how LOT=false is safer in the presence of a grenade defense by
the LOT=true crowd.

I personally *prefer* LOT=true for these reasons, but I am NOT going to be
joining the ranks of the intolerant minority if Core ultimately ships
LOT=false. I think it is more important to stay in consensus, and as a
result I am able to be convinced that false is the right answer. My
question to everyone else (true AND false advocates) is this: what would
you have to observe, in order to change your mind or is it immutably made
up? If we have a significant portion of the community that is immutably
made up to go false, and another portion that is going to go true, the
asymmetry of the fork almost *requires* that those of us whose opinions are
malleable to break for true.

If social consensus is what drives technical consensus and not the other
way around it seems as if there cannot exist a valid (rational?) reason to
oppose Taproot itself, and then by extension with the arguments laid out
above, LOT=true seems to be the logical conclusion of all of this, even if
Core ships LOT=false at the outset.

Where am I wrong here?

Keagan

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:11 PM Jeremy via bitcoin-dev <