[bitcoin-dev] bip48 proposal

dentondevelopment dentondevelopment at protonmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:02:00 UTC 2021

Hello all,

Just wanted to give an update on progress for the "bip48" proposal.

There was some discussion on Twitter between a few multi-sig wallet devs: https://twitter.com/fullynoded/status/1339374947228008448?s=21

A few key points were brought up:

1. We should not define a `script_type` as a path level

The explicit purpose of this BIP is to define an already existing standard that is used in practice across multi-sig wallets. In order to do that we must define a script_type in the path otherwise "loss of funds" could occur and backwards compatibility broken.

2. Another point brought up was that no-one uses the legacy derivation path m/48'/0'/0'/1', in practice all "legacy" p2sh multi-sig wallets use bip45.

I agree and have removed all references to legacy p2sh derivations in the proposed bip.

3. We could possibly include a defined "wild card" in the script_type level to define any future address types (e.g. taproot)

I agree this could be useful and think Ben Kaufman's suggestion of using m/48'/0'/0'/1' for this purpose makes sense, however I also think a future multi-sig standard for new address types may well be suited for a different BIP which could also address concern #1 around including `script_type` at all.

Therefore I have not yet added any mention of "wild card" in the proposed bip but kept strictly to p2sh-p2wsh and p2wsh derivations as used in modern day wallets.

I have create a PR https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/1072 so that anyone may easily comment on it and any concerns can be raised.

I think the community needs this and it is well over due.  I have gotten positive feedback and support from other devs.

Feedback welcome.

Cheers,
Fontaine

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.