[bitcoin-dev] BIP Proposals for Output Script Descriptors

Craig Raw craigraw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 14:00:51 UTC 2021

It's a consideration, not a serious concern.

When I made the point around alphanumeric characters being similar to the
path numbers, I was actually thinking of the output descriptor appearing in
a fixed character width font, which I prefer as more appropriate for
displaying hexidecimal values. In this case, the apostrophe provides more
whitespace which makes the path easier to parse visually. It's difficult to
reduce this to a mathematical argument, as is true for many UX
considerations. Your example in fixed width here:
https://gist.github.com/craigraw/fc98b9031a7e01e1bc5d75a77bdb72e5

That said you make good arguments around the shell quoting and stamps for
metal backups, and therefore I agree it is preferable to use the lowercase
"h". Thanks for the detailed reply.

Craig