[bitcoin-dev] Unlimited covenants, was Re: CHECKSIGFROMSTACK/{Verify} BIP for Bitcoin

Billy Tetrud billy.tetrud at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 20:50:43 UTC 2021

I agree with you David. I think rather unconstrained covenants are
incredibly useful and important. Yes you can burn coins with them, you can
also permanently limit the usability of certain coins (which is less
destructive than burning them). But as Jeremy said, people are free to burn
their coins. People would also be free (in general) to reject coins
encumbered by weird government provisions or unknown provisions in hidden
scripts. A person/wallet shouldn't accept coins encumbered by scripts it
doesn't recognize.

Even if 99% of bitcoins became permanently encumbered by weird covenants,
the other 1% could still be plenty of bitcoins to run the economy, because
of its potentially infinite divisibility. Losing these coins, or someone
basically turning them into altcoin-like bitcoins shouldn't be a concern
really. What's the risk exactly? That people will be forced to take these
encumbered coins? A government can already force people to take whatever
altcoin they want to force on people - covenants don't make this worse.

Shinobi asks: "What if you extorted users with your 51% attack to move into
those?"

Well, you could do this anyway even without covenants existing already. The
51% attack could simply extort people to use whatever rules they want just
as easily (which isn't to say that easily - most users would probably
refuse to be extorted in either case). So I don't really think this is very
valid.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 1:33 PM David A. Harding via bitcoin-dev <