[bitcoin-dev] Unlimited covenants, was Re: CHECKSIGFROMSTACK/{Verify} BIP for Bitcoin

Russell O'Connor roconnor at blockstream.com
Mon Jul 5 17:20:22 UTC 2021

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

I don't believe we need to ban Turing completeness for the sake of banning
Turing completeness.  My concerns have always been around ensuring that
transaction and block validation is not unduly burdensome for nodes.  So
for Bitcoin Script, we want to bound the amount of resources needed to
execute it, preferably as a linear function of weight[1], and preferably
have it clear what the evaluation costs are going to be prior to
evaluation[2].  We also want to keep Script execution as a pure function of
the transaction data so that nodes do not need to reevaluate their mempool
on every new block.  For consensus purposes we prefer to have simple
primitive operations that have clear and precise semantics that are as
likely as possible to be reimplemented correctly if they are reimplemented
(or at least let us not make this problem worse than it already is).  In
particular, Script needs to be easy to parse to avoid weird parsing
machines that lead to security vulnerabilities within node software.

While the above design constraints imply a prohibition on Turing complete
computation within a single Script, they do not imply a prohibition on
arbitrary, covenant-enabled computations that spans across multiple
transactions.  Neither would these constraints prohibit some kind of STARK
or SNARK tapleaf version that was somehow capable of succinctly
representing arbitrary computations, so long as validation costs remain
bounded.

And while it is true that covenant-enabled computations could allow users
to put their funds at risk through weird machines that manipulate their
money on the blockchain, as longs as that weirdness stays at that level of
the abstract Bitcoin Script machine, then I suppose it is *caveat emptor*;
don't send your funds to random unverified Bitcoin Scripts, advice that is
already the case today.  We can keep that potential weirdness at bay by
keeping Script simple, and maintaining our understanding that the Script
programs (like the rest of the blockchain data) are untrusted inputs and
they need to be validated and scrutinized before interpretation.

[1] In tapscript I believe all operations are linear time with the
exception of OP_ROLL.  However OP_ROLL is still constrained by global
limits on stack size, etc.
[2] In Bitcoin Script, without loops of any kind, every opcode is evaluated
at most once, so counting opcodes is an easy way to put an upper bound on
your costs before evaluation.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 8:51 PM ZmnSCPxj via bitcoin-dev <