[bitcoin-dev] Covenant opcode proposal OP_CONSTRAINDESTINATION (an alternative to OP_CTV)

Zac Greenwood zachgrw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 04:57:33 UTC 2021

Hi Billy,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. My purpose was to find out whether
a proposal to somehow limit the amount being sent from an address exists
and to further illustrate my thoughts by giving a concrete example of how
this might work functionally without getting to deep into the
technicalities.

As for your assumption: for an amount limit to have the desired effect, I
realize now that there must also exist some limit on the number of
transactions that will be allowed from the encumbered address.

Taking a step back, a typical use case would be a speculating user
intending to hodl bitcoin but who still wishes to be able to occasionally
transact minor amounts.

Ideally, such user should optionally still be able to bypass the rate limit
and spend the entire amount in a single transaction by signing with an
additional private key (multisig).

During the setup phase, a user sends all their to-be-rate-limited coin to a
single address. When spending from this rate limited address, any change
sent to the change address must be rate limited as well using identical
parameters. I believe that’s also what you’re suggesting.

I believe that a smart wallet should be able to set up and maintain
multiple rate-limited addresses in such a way that their aggregate
behaviour meets any rate-limiting parameters as desired by the user. This
ought to alleviate your privacy concerns because it means that the wallet
will be able to mix outputs.

The options for the to-be implemented rate-limiting parameters vary from
completely arbitrary to more restrictive.

Completely arbitrary parameters would allow users to set up a rate limit
that basically destroys their funds, for instance rate-limiting an address
to an amount of 1 satoshi per 100 blocks.

More restrictive rate limits would remove such footgun and may require that
only a combination of parameters are allowed such that all funds will be
spendable within a set number of blocks (for instance 210,000).

As for the rate-limiting parameters, in addition to a per-transaction
maximum of (minimum amount in satoshi or a percentage of the total amount
stored at the address), also the transaction frequency must be limited. I
would propose this to be expressed as a number of blocks before a next
transaction can be sent from the encumbered address(es).

I believe such user-enabled rate-limiting is superior to one that requires
a third party.

As an aside, I am not sure how a vault solution would be able to prevent an
attacker who is in possession of the vaults’ private key from sabotaging
the user by replacing the user transaction with one having a higher fee
every time the user attempts to transact. I am probably missing something
here though.

Zac