[bitcoin-dev] A Stroll through Fee-Bumping Techniques : Input-Based vs Child-Pay-For-Parent

Lloyd Fournier lloyd.fourn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 02:27:36 UTC 2021

Hi Antione,

Thanks for bringing up this important topic. I think there might be another
class of solutions over input based, CPFP and sponsorship. I'll call them
tx mutation schemes. The idea is that you can set a key that can increase
the fee by lowering a particular output after the tx is signed without
invalidating the signature. The premise is that anytime you need to bump
the fee of a transaction you must necessarily have funds in an output that
are going to you and therefore you can sacrifice some of them to increase
the fee. This is obviously destructive to txids so child presigned
transactions will have to use ANYPREVOUT as in your proposal. The advantage
is that it does not require keeping extra inputs around to bump the fee.

So imagine a new opcode OP_CHECKSIG_MUTATED <output index> <publickey>
<value> <signature>.
This would check that <signature> is valid against <publickey> if the
current transaction had the output at <output index> reduced by <value>. To
make this more efficient, if the public key is one byte: 0x02 it references
the taproot *external key* (similar to how ANYPREVOUT uses 0x01 to refer to
internal key[1]).
Now for our protocol we want both parties (p1 and p2) to be able to fee
bump a commitment transaction. They use MuSig to sign the commitment tx
under the external key with a decent fee for the current conditions. But in
case it proves insufficient they have added the following two leaves to
their key in the funding output as a backup so that p1 and p2 can
unilaterally bump the fee of anything they sign spending from the funding
output:

1. OP_CHECKSIG_MUTATED(0, 0x02, <fee-bump-value>, <original-signature>)
OP_CHECKSIGADD(p1-fee-bump-key, <p1-fee-bump-signature>)  OP_2
OP_NUMEQUALVERIFY
2. OP_CHECKSIG_MUTATED(1, 0x02, <fee-bump-value>, <original-signature>)
OP_CHECKSIGADD(p2-fee-bump-key, <p2-fee-bump-signature>) OP_2
OP_NUMEQUALVERIFY

where <...> indicates the thing comes from the witness stack.
So to bump the fee of the commit tx after it has been signed either party
takes the <original-signature> and adds a signature under their
fee-bump-key for the new tx and reveals their fee bump leaf.
<original-signature> is checked against the old transaction while the fee
bumped transaction is checked against the fee bump key.

I know I have left out how to change mempool eviction rules to accommodate
this kind of fee bumping without DoS or pinning attacks but hopefully I
have demonstrated that this class of solutions also exists.

[1] https://github.com/ajtowns/bips/blob/bip-anyprevout/bip-0118.mediawiki

Cheers,

LL

On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 07:13, Antoine Riard via bitcoin-dev <