[bitcoin-dev] BIP118 confusion / SIGHASH_NOINPUT is now SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT (i think)

Ryan Grant bitcoin-dev at rgrant.org
Sat Jun 12 19:52:45 UTC 2021

Hi,

I have detected some definite confusion among people who are not aware
of the most recent updates to the bip118 draft.  I don't know if
that's common among readers of these lists.

Substantial edits to the bip118 draft were made through May 2019,
including changing its official name to SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT.  The
internal heading "Revisions" discusses these changes.

  https://github.com/ajtowns/bips/blob/c7c6a58b7a66a5dc5f4435319577d26a34082a79/bip-0118.mediawiki#Revisions
  https://github.com/ajtowns/bips/compare/master...ajtowns:bip-anyprevout
  https://github.com/ajtowns/bips/blob/c7c6a58b7a66a5dc5f4435319577d26a34082a79/bip-0118.mediawiki

The version in bitcoin/bips was not modified since 2018, until it
diverged by collecting a minor fix two months ago.  It still uses
SIGHASH_NOINPUT terminology.

  https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0118.mediawiki

AFAICT, with taproot activating, the preferred method to ease
lightning network client state requirements will now definitely be
SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT.

I am not aware of reasons for bip118's updated draft to sit on the
sidelines before consideration by a wider audience.