[bitcoin-dev] Trinary Version Signaling for softfork upgrades

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Sun Jun 27 09:21:58 UTC 2021

I have not objected to anyone splitting. As I said, a split is always possible, and of course has been done on a large scale. It is only the misleading statements about inherent soft fork “compatibility” and the implication that activation without hash power enforcement does not create a split that I object to. People who know better should be honest about it.

Far too many people have been led to believe there is some sort of activation choice with “ensured” equal outcomes (maybe “slowed down”). There is only a choice between creating a split and hash power enforcement. Soft forks are rule changes, and thereby incompatible - unless enforced by majority hash power.

The statements below are grossly misleading and need to be called out as such so that people can actually make this decision you speak of. This idea that “users” decide the rules is not the question. The question is only how to avoid a split. If one does not care he can split at any time, no discussion required.