[bitcoin-dev] Trinary Version Signaling for softfork upgrades

eric at voskuil.org eric at voskuil.org
Wed Jun 30 08:55:47 UTC 2021

All good questions.

> Is the goal here to do what the economic majority wants, or some other group? If so, do you think we have an accurate way of measuring what the economic majority wants?

It’s important that people understand that “economic” does not refer to people interested in, HODLing, coding, or selling Bitcoin. It is only those who are *presently accepting* it. We refer to these as “economic nodes”. Those are the people with the economic power to reject coin that they consider invalid. Only their validation is of any economic consequence in the event of a split. I see no reason to assume that the economy is any less centralized than mining is pooled. Today the support of the economy would be best measured by meeting with exchange operators. If they did not go along, any unenforced soft fork (split) would isolate everyone who thought they could continue to trade their coin on exchanges.

I’d also question the use of the term “majority”. It applies to hash power, by design, but not to the economy. A split of any size is possible, requiring no majority. All it requires is other people to trade with.

Exchanges are highly regulated and compliant institutions. Mining operations are heavily pooled. Neither of these is inherently better than the other. Everyone can have a say by being a miner or being a merchant. Subeconomies can split, majority hash power can censor (which is the exact mechanism of soft fork enforcement). These ideas are straightforward and hardly worthy of debate. The interesting question is how one gets others to go along with his new coin. Make no mistake, any rule change (soft or hard) is a new coin. If hash power doesn’t enforce the new rules of a soft fork, the chain is split just as if it was a hard fork.

I’m sure people will continue to try and devise ways to figure out who wants to come along, to try and convince people (including exchanges and miners) to do so, to reassure them that everyone else will “have to”, and to mislead them about the actual behavior and risks. We’ve seen permanent splits, and we’ve seen hash power enforced soft forks. We’re likely to see more of both. But as core devs we have a responsibility to inform people, honestly, and let them decide. My only beef with this whole process has been that a widespread belief had formed, supported by far too many core devs (and even embedded in the text of deployed BIPs), that soft forks are inherently “backward compatible”. This is unequivocally not true. The only such compatibility is majority hash power enforcement of a soft fork. This is not a matter of opinion, it’s the core innovation of Bitcoin. Proof of Work settles the question of who has authority to order transactions. Majority hash power has that authority. Merchants can split again and again, but their miners will still have that authority. If one wants a say, one can mine.