[bitcoin-dev] Trinary Version Signaling for softfork

Prayank prayank at tutanota.de
Wed Jun 30 12:12:35 UTC 2021

> I’ve seen no actual demonstration of the relevance of game theory to Bitcoin. People throw the words around quite a bit, but I can’t give you an answer because I have found no evidence of a valid game theoretic model applicable to Bitcoin. It’s not a game, it’s a market.

Agree its difficult to predict and include all the possible things that may happen. Two articles I had read in past that explained few things based on game theory:

https://jimmysong.medium.com/uasf-bip148-scenarios-and-game-theory-9530336d953e

https://jimmysong.medium.com/segwit2x-game-theory-scenarios-part-1-7f863904a72

> Who knows, I don’t get invited to round table meetings.

> Every time two people trade both party validates what they receive (not what they trade away). Those receiving Bitcoin are economically relevant and their power is a function of how much they are doing so.

Agree. Running and 'using' the node for economic activity can be considered enforcing consensus rules.

> Majority miners can enforce censorship by simply not building on any non-censoring blocks. This is what soft fork enforcement is.

I am not sure about this.

Signaling can be done for many things. In this case I think miners are signaling 'readiness'.  Pieter Wuille had answered a related question on SE: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/97043/is-there-an-active-list-of-bips-currently-open-for-voting/

Since this is misunderstood or misinterpreted by many, I had even requested Hampus Sjöberg to mention this in https://taproot.watch/https://github.com/hsjoberg/fork-explorer/issues/57

--
 Prayank

Jun 30, 2021, 14:47 by eric at voskuil.org: