[bitcoin-dev] Trinary Version Signaling for softfork

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Wed Jun 30 18:11:06 UTC 2021

> On Jun 30, 2021, at 05:45, Zac Greenwood <zachgrw at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Eric,
>
> > A million nodes saying a transaction is invalid does nothing to enforce that knowledge
>
> It does. Nodes disregard invalid transactions and invalid blocks as if they never existed. It is not possible for any party to transact bitcoin in a way that violates the set of rules enforced by the network of consensus-compatible nodes that we call Bitcoin.

When Fincen walks into Coinbase and every other exchange (and white market business in the country), and tells them to change a rule or they are taking the CEO out in hancuffs for money laundering, I’m pretty sure that their node with not be able to prevent it.

Enforcement is always people. We use the term node as a metaphorical term for people who use the node to avoid taking bad money. Like those machines that test paper money, they offer no resistance themselves.

A node in a closet checking transactions, unconnected to any human actually rejecting the money in trade, offers no resistance to anything. It can be forked off without any consequence whatsoever.

This subject was discussed here during the BCH split. People were setting up nodes on cloud services, to boost numbers. These non-economic nodes were of course of no consequence, which was not a matter of debate. I’m explaining to you why that is.

The network ignores non-economic nodes as if they never existed.