[bitcoin-dev] LOT=False is dangerous and shouldn't be used

yanmaani at cock.li yanmaani at cock.li
Mon Mar 1 16:54:07 UTC 2021

How about a compromise?

With LOT=false, taproot will be activated if at least 95% of the miners
vote yes.
With LOT=true, taproot will be activated if at least 0% of the miners
vote yes.
...with LOT=maybe, taproot will be activated if at least ~some% of the
miners vote yes?

If you want the 'emergency cancel' feature without binding yourself to
it, couldn't you have some middle-of-the-road solution? "Taproot will be
enabled if miner support ever goes above 95%, or on flag day if miner
support is >20% then". That would prevent obstreperous miners from doing
too much damage, while still hopefully making it possible to bail out of
a disaster.