[bitcoin-dev] Yesterday’s UASF (LOT=true) kick off meeting

Ariel Luaces arielluaces at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 02:18:29 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 12:25 PM Michael Folkson via bitcoin-dev

> At this point in time it also appears the greatest risk to Taproot
> dying a slow death is a small group of developers who think talking in
> conservative tones and talking about endless philosophy makes Bitcoin
> a conservative system. (It doesn’t, it just makes it a dying, decaying
> one).

The current risk to taproot and all future activations is a loud
minority of users who are threatening to co-opt a LOT=false activation
by switching the parameter and organizing a marketing blitz that could
end in a fork if things don't go well.
As long as that threat persists consensus won't be reached. Then an
activation client probably won't be released because I don't expect
many devs will have an appetite for writing code that either doesn't
have consensus or code that will be manipulated into creating
consensus conflicts.
I think Bitcoin is fine staying as is until that minority forks off
with their own alt-node. If the UASF minority is dead set on creating
the alt-node then I only hope it's released quickly so the deadlock
can break. A quick UASF fork allows for an early LOT=false activation.

Cheers
Ariel Lorenzo-Luaces