[bitcoin-dev] BIP70 is dead. What now?

P G philipglazman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 15:56:10 UTC 2021

Hi Thomas,

> Nevertheless, there is ONE feature of BIP70 that I find useful: the fact
that payment requests were signed.

In addition to signing the actual payment request, a nice addition to a new
payment protocol is an assurance that the receiving address can in fact
spend later on. Many users send "test" transactions to a wallet address
before sending their intended full amount. If the protocol includes a
response containing a signature using BIP322, there is better assurance for
the sender. Outside of the merchant context, a sender can use the protocol
to have peace of mind when sending between their own wallets. This should
likely be an optional parameter given cold storage setups cannot return a
signature quickly.

- Philip

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 5:26 AM Eoin McQuinn via bitcoin-dev <

> What is a 'pull request'?
>
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 1:49 PM Andrew Kozlik via bitcoin-dev <
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> I am working on an experimental implementation [1] of a new payment
>> request format in Trezor T. In some respects it's similar to BIP-70. The
>> main differences are:
>>
>> 1. There is no reliance on X.509, since that seems to have been the main
>> reason for BIP-70's downfall. The signature is mandatory, since for us the
>> main feature is protection against a man-in-the-middle attack. So in this
>> sense it's more similar to BOLT11.
>>
>> 2. It can be used to solve a similar problem with coin exchange. When you
>> are sending BTC to a trusted exchange service and expecting another
>> cryptocurrency in return, say LTC, you want to be sure that you not only
>> have the correct BTC address, but also that the exchange service has your
>> correct LTC address.
>>
>> 3. It uses an optional nonce for replay protection.
>>
>> The two interesting parts in [1] are probably the `TxAckPaymentRequest`
>> protobuf message [2] and the signature verification [3]. The protobuf
>> message is only for communication between Trezor and the host software
>> running on the user's computer. It's not intended for interchange between
>> wallets. We haven't defined the interchange format yet. I intend to create
>> a SLIP documenting all this.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/trezor/trezor-firmware/compare/andrewkozlik/payreq2
>> [2]
>> https://github.com/trezor/trezor-firmware/blob/andrewkozlik/payreq2/common/protob/messages-bitcoin.proto#L403-L427
>> [3]
>> https://github.com/trezor/trezor-firmware/blob/andrewkozlik/payreq2/core/src/apps/bitcoin/sign_tx/payment_request.py
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Charles Hill via bitcoin-dev <
>> bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Thomas,
>>>
>>> I developed a URL signing scheme for use with LNURL as a method for
>>> authorizing payments on behalf of offline devices /applications. It's
>>> not specifically off-chain or on-chain related, but could be repurposed.
>>> The gist of the scheme is as follows:
>>>
>>> Before any signing is done:
>>>
>>> 0) Generate an API key (ID/reference, secret, encoding) to be shared
>>> between a server and an offline device or application.
>>>
>>> To generate a signature:
>>>
>>> 1) Generate a random nonce (unique per API key)
>>>
>>> 2) Build a query string with the `id`, `nonce`, `tag`, "Server
>>> parameters" (see [Subprotocols](#subprotocols) above), and any custom
>>> parameters. The `id` parameter should be equal to the API key's ID.