[bitcoin-dev] Taproot activation proposal "Speedy Trial"

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Sat Mar 6 18:11:01 UTC 2021

I'm really unsure that three months is a short enough time window that there wouldn't be a material effort to split the
network with divergent consensus rules. Instead, a three month window is certainly long enough to organize and make a
lot of noise around such an effort, given BIP 148 was organized and reached its peak within a similar such window.

Worse, because the obvious alternative after a three month activation failure is a significant delay prior to
activation, the vocal UASF minority may be encouraged to pursue such a route to avoid such a delay.

One alternative may be to reduce the signaling windows involved and start slightly later. Instead of the likelihood of
failure growing on the horizon, simply have two signaling windows (maybe two weeks, maybe a moth each?). In order to
ensure success remains likely, begin them somewhat later after software release to give pools and miners a chance to
configure their mining software in advance.

Matt