[bitcoin-dev] PSA: Taproot loss of quantum protections

Jeremy jlrubin at mit.edu
Mon Mar 15 22:40:07 UTC 2021

I think Luke is pointing out that with the Signature and the Message you
should be able to recover the key.

if your address is H(P) and the message is H(H(P) || txn), then the you can
use the public H(P) and the signature to recover the PK and verify that
H(P) == P (I think you then don't even have to check the signature after
doing that).

Therefore there is no storage benefit.

For the script path case, you might have to pay a little bit extra though
as you'd have to reveal P I think? But perhaps that can be avoided another
way...
--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>
<https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 3:06 PM Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev <