[bitcoin-dev] Fee estimates and RBF

Jeremy jlrubin at mit.edu
Sat May 1 00:11:42 UTC 2021

Hi Prayank,

Very glad to hear you are weathering the storm OK, wishing you and yours
safety in the weeks ahead.

I think you'll be interested to see
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2020-September/018168.html
especially with regards to background services.

In the long term, this can be particularly useful since you can use a
separate fee-only wallet to arrange the bumps if your main wallet keys are
offline, and you do not disturb any of the on-chain dependants.

It can also be much cheaper to use this mechanism than actual RBF because
you are not subject to the feerate improvement rule, which forces you to
pay for the bump on all tx data.

I would be very interested to see a system whereby you can make a market
(maybe via LN) for someone to get your TX included (using oracle network
OK) by a particular date. Then you can abstract the whole system a lot
better, so that you can fee bump without having to create any direct on
chain traffic, and a sponsor vector can be offered across a number of txns
by a service provider.

Cheers,

Jeremy
--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>
<https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 2:40 PM Prayank via bitcoin-dev <