[bitcoin-dev] BIP - limiting OP_RETURN / HF

Ruben Somsen rsomsen at gmail.com
Tue May 4 12:51:14 UTC 2021

Good evening ZmnSCPxj,

Thanks for thinking it through. I appreciate the time and effort.

>sidechain functionaries will not earn anything once there are at least 2
functionaries [...] they are doing all this work of validating the
sidechain blocks, but gain nothing [...] the entire sidechain depends on
this one sidechain functionary

I think your description is accurate, and while it may intuitively sound
problematic, it turns out it does not actually cause any issues.

Even in a scenario where one entity is consistently creating all the
spacechain blocks, they can only do so as long as they consistently leave 0
profit on the table for others. This is actually perfectly acceptable,
because that means this entity is not censoring anyone. As soon as they try
to abuse their position with censorship, it's trivial for anyone to step in
and outbid them.

How trivial, you may wonder? Well, there is very little difference between
being a spacechain miner and a spacechain user. Both are expected to run
full nodes, the only difference is that the miner has some BTC available
and is willing to use it to "mine" the block reward in the spacechain. This
means that the barrier for users to act as miners is low to the point where
it may happen altruistically, and, interestingly, it also doubles as an
appealing way for users to purchase spacecoins in a decentralized fashion.

Btw, I personally prefer not to call a "BMM chain" a sidechain, because in
my eyes it's not a sidechain if the chain has its own altcoin. The
spacechain design (which avoids the use of an altcoin) comes closer to
being a sidechain in that regard, but even there the use of the term
"sidechain" is debatable.

I hope this clarifies things.

Cheers,
Ruben