[bitcoin-dev] Opinion on proof of stake in future

honest69abe honest69abe at protonmail.com
Sat May 8 02:40:34 UTC 2021

And to address your energy usage concern:

Energy usage, in-and-of-itself, is nothing to be ashamed of!! It's the composition of that energy usage that could be shameful. There is much debate currently about what that composition is for Bitcoin, but those estimates range from between 20-80% renewable. However, where it currently stands is largely irrelevant...

What is more important;
Bitcoin mining introduces the first free-market demand for the cheapest energy source.

I think most people are unaware of how impactful this is.

Renewable energies have crossed over into being the cheapest forms of energy and are still declining at steep rates. Estimates from the International Renewable Energy Agency breakdown the Levelized Cost of Energy as such: Geothermal ($0.05-0.1/kWh), Coal (0.06-0.07), natural gas (0.04-0.07), wind (0.02-0.05), solar (0.03-0.04), hydro (0.01-0.04).

Thus, Bitcoin is the first intrinsic incentive for humans to invest in cheapest energy, which happen to be the cleanest forms of energy.

Bitcoin as a free-market energy generation incentive that doesn't also optimize for human habitability will be civilizationally changing. E.g. solar farms in deserts, high-altitude wind.

Welcome to any thoughts and criticisms of my thinking here

Sent from ProtonMail mobile